Monday, May 11, 2015

Not Being a Tourist in London! Day One!

It has been a while since I have had the time to write or cook anything!   Morgan has left and we are spending time just catching up with our lives!  Although it was very sad to say goodbye to Morgan after her being such a wonderful visitor!  But it is also time for us to recharge our batteries!  And it is taking a while to do just that!

However, I did manage to drum up the energy to travel to London for 3 days with Whitney!  The official reason was to celebrate her birthday, but the icing on the cake (no pun intended) was we also got to spend time with Martin! Our main mission was not to do the Buckingham Palace, London Tower, Piccadilly Circus type of London trip and I think we were very successful!


This trip was very focused on food, for some reason - I guess like Mother, like Daughter!  What fun that was!  So our first stop was Chipotle since it is close to where we left the Easybus from Stansted Airport.  I had never heard of it before Morgan told me about it, but apparently it is an American Mexican chain.  It is very similar to Pinto in Glasgow and just as easy to eat there, even with my allergy to cumin!  I got a fantastic chicken burrito and enjoyed every bite!









The bus stop is on Baker Street and it was amazing to see 221B Baker Street, the home of Sherlock Holmes!  Of course, this is not an authentic address but there is now a museum with this address and it looks nice.  We didn't take the time to visit on either our first day, or on the way back!  The entry free is £10 and I am not as interested as my Dad would have been. This would have been right up his street! (oh another pun, sorry.)

Whitney and I then found our way to Liverpool Street Station and the Spitalfields market. It was getting late so some of the stalls were closed, but it was fun to see a different market.  Since it had been a few hours since we had eaten, we managed to find Lola's cupcakes and treated ourselves!  Mine was a red velvet cupcake (fabulous!). Whitney got a gluten free vegan chocolate cupcake. The flavour was wonderful, but the texture was just a bit odd!








Then it was on to the Travelodge in Southwark to check in and have a nap!  Before heading off to the Old Vic Theatre to see the Cole Porter production of High Society!


One of the rare selfies!  Taken at the Old Vic
After spending so many months travelling with Morgan, it has taken me until just now, writing this, to realise why something felt a bit odd on this trip. What was it?  Hardly any selfies!  Morgan loves selfies and has taught me the joy of doing them, but Whitney is not keen on them.  Consequenlty, there are very few photos of this trip, either of people, places or things!

The show was really enjoyable even though the songs they advertised as classic and well loved, were possibly just a bit too obscure.  But it was good just to be there!

My dinner!


Martin met us afterward and we were all hoping to find someplace still open for dinner.  We ended up at Wahaca, which looked amazing!  The menu was really interesting and I was hoping that it would be just as easy to eat there as the fast food Mexican restaurants.  Well, it wasn't! To their total embarrassment, it turned out that there was nothing on the menu at all that I could eat.  It wasn't because absolutely everything on the menu had cumin.  It was the process in their kitchen.  The chef fries everything in the same place, cumin or not.  He also interchanges the cooking utensils. So nothing could be guaranteed to be cumin free.  I thought I would get Churros y Chocolate for dessert - nope not possible. So I ended up with a rather delicious dish of Salted Caramel Ice Cream!








Martin and Whitney, on the other hand, got a delicious assortment of gorgeous looking dishes.  The management took my email and are reviewing their processes, but I am not holding my breath. Cumin allergy is not a very well known allergy and I don't see how they could change so much just on the off chance another person like me is silly enough to try to find something they can eat there.   (I should really know better but I do love Mexican food!)

We all stayed in our family room at the Travelodge.  I loved having both of my kids under my roof again. At the age of our family, I know how rare and treasured these moments are and was so grateful to have this time with both of them together!




"Whatever they grow up to be, they are still our children, and the one most important of all the things we can give to them is unconditional love. Not a love that depends on anything at all except that they are our children."








No comments:

Post a Comment