Thursday, March 6, 2014

Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken and Fashion Workshops!

I have just spent a wonderful day at a fashion workshop organised as part of a team project by my daughter's HND class.  The fact I was able to go at all was good luck and timing.  With being semi-retired, I do have spare days - unfortunately filled too much already. But a day like this was priceless!
Not only did I have a great time, but it was so nice to see my daughter helping to run such a successful event.

There were a variety of interesting workshops -



recycling old clothes (mine was a dress and I put a gold trim on it to make it different),



a marketing talk that was amazing and I think the fashion students there would really benefit from what the man told them.








We were also lucky to have a life coach and she challenged our beliefs and thought processes.





But the most fun was the tiara workshop!  My fingers are still sore from working with the wire, but it was fascinating to take random beads and wire and end up with a thing of beauty!

The workshop lasted from 10 - 4 so I knew it would be dinner time when I got home.


There had been an interesting recipe posted on Facebook called Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken and this was what I decided we would have for dinner.

With my new food processor it took no time at all to prepare the vegetables, but this also made them a bit smaller than what was called for.   The time saved was worth the loss of a bit of substance though.

I thought I had managed to save this recipe on Facebook, but couldn't locate it last night so I looked for it on the internet and here it is!  A copy of the recipe with no pictures is at the end!

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken


Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

    2 pounds (32 ounces) chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
    1 cup salsa, homemade or purchased*
    1 cup petite diced canned tomatoes (choose low-sodium)
    2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning *
    1 cup onions, diced fine**
    1/2 cup celery diced fine**
    1/2 cup carrots, shredded**
    3 tablespoons sour cream, low fat

Salsa Chicken is easy to make; just put all the ingredients in a slow cooker and let the machine do the work. There are infinite variations, and your family is guaranteed to like each one.
6-8 hours to prepare; 15 minutes of active cooking time
Makes 8 one-cup servings of chicken.




Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the meat then layer the vegetables and salsa on top. Pour a half cup water over the mixture, set on low and cook for 6-8 hours.














The meat is cooked when it shreds or reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. When ready to serve, break up the chicken with two forks then stir in the sour cream.
Makes eight 1 cup servings.








The recipe does not say what to serve with this, and mine at least, was too runny to just eat.....so we decided to have brown rice with it.  And I believe that was a good choice!









*With my allergy to cumin, I had to change this recipe a bit.  There is no Taco Seasoning I can use and I have to read the ingredients of every salsa in the grocery store.  I guess I really should make my own seasoning and salsa, but that will have to wait until I am able to spend more time at home.  I used Fajita sauce instead of taco seasoning so this added liquid.  As a result, I didn't need to add any water.

**In my haste I didn't measure any vegetables, I just threw them in the food processor!  I used one onion, 2 stalks of celery and 3 carrots.  I also did not measure the tomatoes, just poured the can in.  Plus I only had one pound of chicken so I only got about 4 servings.  They were delicious too, my husband is not crazy about Mexican food and he went back for seconds!  That says it all to me.






I absolutely hate cleaning a slow cooker and years ago, Mom told me about slow cooker liners.  I have only found these at limited places in the US and nowhere else.  Even a Canadian friend of mine searched when she went home and she could not find them.  This is one of my "must buys" whenever I visit home and I love using them.  A bit of me does not approve of cooking in plastic, but the lazy part of me just hopes that the manufacturers have done their bit and kept this a safe method of cooking.

I probably mention these any time I publish a slow cooker recipe, but they are a very important part of the activity!







"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." Coco Chanel


Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

    2 pounds (32 ounces) chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
    1 cup salsa, homemade or purchased
    1 cup petite diced canned tomatoes (choose low-sodium)
    2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning 
    1 cup onions, diced fine
    1/2 cup celery diced fine
    1/2 cup carrots, shredded
    3 tablespoons sour cream
Salsa Chicken is easy to make; just put all the ingredients in a slow cooker and let the machine do the work. There are infinite variations, and your family is guaranteed to like each one.
6-8 hours to prepare; 15 minutes of active cooking time
Makes 8 one-cup servings of chicken.


Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the meat then layer the vegetables and salsa on top. Pour a half cup water over the mixture, set on low and cook for 6-8 hours. The meat is cooked when it shreds or reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. When ready to serve, break up the chicken with two forks then stir in the sour cream.
Makes eight 1 cup servings.




No comments:

Post a Comment