Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Peach Ham Sauce

Autumn comes to our street


Alan and I have been eating very conservatively while Mom is in the hospital, sort of an experiment as to how inexpensively and carefully we can get by on our food budget.

So last night, we cooked a "small" ham, 2.65 kilos  (5.8 lbs).  We almost never even see decent size hams on sale, and this really wasn't a "decent" size ham.  What I mean by that is, it would not feed the numbers I have been known to feed in the past - pre-empty nest.

This recipe was given to me by a friend who had this sauce at dinner along with a ham, of course!    In my little recipe collection - I have the date as November 1999!  This is also the cause of the subject of my previous blog - Identifying a Pattern
To give an idea of just how delicious this sauce is - my Mother in Law is diabetic and has to be extremely careful of her diet. She very rarely "cheats" because her blood sugar goes haywire.  But she makes an exception for this sauce, and will even ask me to make it for her if they cook a ham!

 

Peach Ham Sauce

4 oz (100gr) soft brown sugar
1 tsp each - cinnamon, allspice and ground cloves
1/2 cup (1/4 pint) water or peach juice
2 Tbs cider vinegar
1 can peaches in juice
 
Keep peaches to the side and mix all other ingredients.
Bring to a boil, add peaches and enjoy.
 
Does it get any easier that that?
 
Sorry that there is no picture of the finished sauce, with the peaches all speckled in spices.  I was in too much of a hurry to eat! 

 
 “Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.” Mark Twain.


No comments:

Post a Comment